IMPORTANT SECURITY TIPS
REMEMBER: Burglars are opportunists! They are looking for EASY targets. If the risk of detection is too high, they will not attempt to enter your home.
- LIGHTS ON! Make sure your property is well-lit.
- Keep lights on from DUSK to DAWN.
- Be sure lights are out of reach.
- Purchase Motion Detectors. . .some screw right into the light socket.
Trees and Shrubs
- Trim shrubs down to 2 feet or under
- Trim overgrown trees around your home.
- Plant shrubs with thorns (roses, barberry, etc.)
- Clean up your alley - if you didn't get to it during Motor City Makeover, NOW IS THE TIME!
Fences and Gates
- Make sure your driveway and alley gates and fences are secure. Look for any point of weakness and repair it right away.
- Install an alarm and make sure it works properly. False alarms will cause neighbors to ignore the sound when the "real thing" happens!
- Family dogs are a great deterrent to burglars - acting as alarms and property protection!
- Mark or etch your valuables - they are harder for thieves to sell if identified.
- Secure ladders or other tools that could be used for entering your home.
As a Neighborhood
- Be aware of who lives around you.
- Alert the police if you see suspicious people or vehicles on your street.
- Offer to collect a neighbor's mail and newspapers when they are on vacation; find a trusted neighbor to do the same for you if you are away for an extended period.